Brussels Sprouts Fried in EVOO
- 1⁄4 cup of Capatriti balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup of Capatriti extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 small shallots, thinly sliced crosswise into rings
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
In a blender, combine the balsamic vinegar with the olive oil, honey, mustard, and 1 tablespoon of the sliced shallots and blend until smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and scrape into a medium bowl.
Pour enough vegetable oil into a 6-qt. saucepan to come 2 inches up the side and heat to 350° on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches, fry the Brussels sprouts until golden brown and slightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sprouts to paper towels to drain.
In a small bowl, toss the remaining sliced shallots, separated into rings, with the flour, then fry until golden and crispy, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to another set of paper towels to drain.
In the bowl with the sauce, toss the Brussels sprouts with the sauce, half the parsley, the cranberries, parmigiana, and walnuts. Season the sprouts with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Sprinkle the sprouts with the crispy shallots, the remaining parsley, and the lemon zest and serve while hot.